Tips for Safe Bicycling
Bicyclists and Motorists: Share the Road
Read article by Sheriff Rob Nou & Joe Cussen
Bicycling Safety Tips
- Wear a helmet
Head injuries account for 85% of all bicycle accident injuries
- Obey all traffic signs
- Ride single file and keep to the right
- Ride in small groups widely spaced
- Make stops on the straightaway rather than at the top of hills or curves
- When stopping, move completely off the road to allow cars to pass safely
- Make yourself visible with bright clothing and reflectors
- Use lights for night riding
- Be alert for dogs
- Respect the rights of property owners
Most land and many local roads are privately owned.
Emergency: Dial 911 OR (from cell phone) Call (360) 468-4141 .
For non-emergencies for fire, EMS or sheriff, call (360) 378-4151.
For more information please visit the County bicycling site at:
www.sanjuanco.com/publicworks/bicycle_safety.aspx. Along with a copy of the brochure and safety tips, there is a link within that page showing the road projects for the year. That's handy information for bicyclists to plan which roads to avoid when possible.